It is such a shame to loose Woolworths, I think everyone would agree. I remember a time in my childhood when Swansea had two Woolworths stores - the one most people know on Oxford Street and the one which used to occupy the building now owned by Argos on the corner of High Street. The old Woolworths on High Street even had a cafe in its store.
My strongest memory of the old High Street Woolworths was calling into the store before going to see a film in the old Castle Cinema and deciding to use the money earmarked for the movie to buy a large A4 writing pad I saw on sale in there instead - working out in my young mind that I would have more lasting fun writing my own little story on the blank pages of paper that watching somebody else's story for an hour and a half.
Here are a few photos of the Oxford Street Woolworths store to remind us of how this famous store appeared on our Swansea streets. The photos (with one exception) were taken shortly before Christmas 2008, just after it had been announced that Woolworths were going to close forever. The final photograph, which shows the shop closed, was taken shortly after the store closed its doors for the very last time.







