Oxwich Cliffs

Entry Posted June 29, 2009

Despite it being a very walm and sunny weekend afternoon the day I walked around Oxwich Point (June 14, 2009), I found this stretch of the Gower Peninsula coastline to be extraordinarily quiet. Indeed, after exiting Oxwich Woods near the tip of the headland, I only passed one couple along the entire route to Oxwich Green.

Like all remote and scarcely visited Gower locations, this part of Gower holds a special, almost magical, atmosphere. Such was its visual impact on this occasion, it took an age to complete the circuitous walk of only a few miles - the temptation to just stop and breathe in the salt air and admire the sheer magnitude of the beauty about me being too much of a continued temptation.

Oxwich CliffsOxwich Point

Oxwich CliffsThe Coastpath South From Oxwich Point

Oxwich Cliffs



The contrasty lighting that afternoon made general photography of the route difficult but I can't complain as the extreme lighting afforded an eyecatching backlit display of various grasses which I enjoyed very much. Their gentle rhythm as they swayed in the soft, warm breeze was an enchantment I regret I did not capture on video to share with you.




Anyone Know What This Metal Structure is the Remains Of?
You Can See Another Post on it Here








At this Fork in the Coastland Path, I Took the High Road




The Enigmatically Named Holy's Wash





Port Eynon Point Coming Into View


The walk south along the coastline from Oxwich Point soon reaches a fantastic set of cliffs which appear above you like the remains of some ancient aztec city. It is another regret from the day's walk that I did not have the time to climb to their heights and explore their almost ordered construction (the third and final regret being I also did not have the time to visit the nearby WW2 pillboxes near Oxwich Point - something I had promised to do in this earlier blogpost).




Wood Cranesbill








Fossilised Shell







A Murder of Crows (If You Can Call Four a Murder?)





















Holy's Wash











Given the amount of photography I have published in today's Gower blog entry, I will end this post before I left the coastline to head in towards Oxwich Green and down to the car park at Oxwich Bay. I'll leave that continuation of the day's walk for tomorrow's post.

To bring this entry to a close, here are some shots of the beautiful ponies which seem to be constant residents on this cliffland spot overlooking the curiously named coastline of Holy's Wash.